background

Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Strawberry Fields Forever

For those of you that don't know, I live in the country. Now that we have that cleared up, i can proceed. Today, on my drive home from work I noticed a young man driving his tractor very slowly in a large field. He only had one very long row tilled behind him. This field that he was working on is a very important field to the residents of Burke County and the surrounding areas. It is our local Strawberry Patch owned by a very nice Mennonite family. I was so excited to see them beginning to prepare the fields for the plants that I could taste the strawberries. Once the strawberries are ripened, they sell them for a very reasonable $8 a gallon bucket. These are absolutely the sweetest strawberries you have ever tasted. Once season hits, our desserts consists of strawberry cake ( my mother in law's) it is to die for! Yummy Strawberry Shortcake made with homemade shortcakes (mine, thanks to Bisquick and some extra sugar) and some nights just plain ole strawberries. This year, I want to try something new - I got a dehydrator from my grandfather. We make yogurt in it. How about homemade strawberry yogurt? Sounds berrylicious to me! Can't wait for those berries to ripen!

No comments: