background

Sunday, November 22, 2009

Runner without Rhythm

Have you ever heard that expression, "White folks don't have rhythm?" Well, it is true - at least for me. As a runner, I need a little rhythm - you know to get in a groove. I have always pondered how is it that people fall down and injure themselves while actually running! Well, let me explain..... I have a friend named Amy who is my running buddy. Amy has two dogs that we attempt to take running with us. One is a beautiful young lab named Sugarbear and the other is a blonde Heinz 57 mix appropriately named Heinz. Both dogs are very strong willed - kinda like some kids these days - anyway they will pull us through the neighborhood only stopping for a bush or fire hydrant. Well Amy and I were feeling really good, going down hill, making up some song about the dogs running. (yes Doug, we can run and sing at the same time) This is how it happened, I think the dogs got tangled up and I fell onto Sugarbear and then onto the asphalt with my hands to catch myself. Poor Sugarbear took the brunt of my knees in her ribs, but we got up and kept going. I wasn't hurt or at least no road rash because I run with my long sleeves over my palms to keep my hands warm. I was more embarrassed because I am sure red hair was flying and the dogs were scrambling and lots of people we know live on that street ;)
My right hand took the worst part of the fall. It was very badly bruised and I thought it was broken on Saturday morning because I could not move my thumb. It was only due to the swelling of the soft tissue in my palm.
So I guess the moral of the story is don't use the dog as a hurdle.


No comments: